We welcome submissions from Macquarie University students and staff. We do accept submissions from past students and community members, though we will prioritise submissions from current students.
Please read the Style Guide before submitting.
We welcome all types of topics and submissions for both the monthly published Grapeshot Magazine and the daily updated website Grapeshot Online that you’re on now .
Grapeshot Magazine mainly features articles about student lifestyle, aspirations and current issues in society and the world. The magazine is a forum for creative expression and exploration of issues related to students from different academic backgrounds. The options really are endless – short stories, long stories, photography, paintings, opinions pieces, feature articles, poetry, reviews, thoughts, ideas and so on.
Each issue of Grapeshot Magazine has a theme, which is a means of inspiring and provoking thoughts and ideas in constructing a cohesive publication. Submission deadlines are the first Friday of each month (February to October) at 5pm by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2016 deadlines for Semesters 1 and 2:
- Sweet 16 – Contributor Submission Deadline: 22 January 2016
- D.I.Y – Contributor Submission Deadline: 26 February
- Beat – Contributor Submission Deadline: 25 March
- Cacti – Contributor Submission Deadline: 22 April
- XO – Contributor Submission Deadline: 24 June 2016
- Warhol – Contributor Submission Deadline: 22 July 2016
- Turf – Contributor Submission Deadline: 26 August 2016
- Prom Night – Contributor Submission Deadline: 23 September 2016
(Themes are often subject to change)
Grapeshot Online is an extension of the magazine and is more campus oriented. While most contents from the magazine will be syndicated online, we also take submissions exclusive for the website. You may submit articles of the following types:
- Promotions on events and activities (both on- and off-campus)
- Student group profiles
- Event entries for What’s On?
- Other contents and stories of high currency or may not make to the next magazine issue
You may submit contents for Grapeshot Online any time by emailing to email@example.com as it is updated daily and not restricted by any deadlines.
WORD LIMITS & PREFERRED FORMATS
- Feature Articles: 500-1000 words
- Fiction/Non-Fiction: 500 – 1000 words
- Columns: 300 words
- Poetry: 30 lines
- Artwork: In high-resolution JPEG or TIFF
- Photography: Send single uncompressed files at maximum quality, JPEG preferred, not RAW
- Student group related: 300 words
- Calendar Events: No more than two sentences with information on: date of the event; name of the event; name of the student group/external organisation; brief purpose and details of event.
If you would like to respond to an article in Grapeshot, please send submissions of 200 words or less to ‘Letters to the Editor’ or contact the Grapeshot Team directly.
Or contact us via our contact form below: