WORDS Olivia Whenman
Learn from collective professional knowledge and gain insight of the media industry spanning from print production to television presenting and radio broadcasting. The Macquarie University Media Society (MUMS) media careers panel ‘Spotlight: The Future for Media Students’ will be held on Tuesday 6 August 2013.
The panel is the Macquarie University Media Society (MUMS) second media event to be held at Macquarie since its formation at the start of the year.
The event is already shaping up to be a big one with the announcement of five guest speakers from many different areas of the media industry including print, radio and television. The five guest speakers are:
- Chris Merritt, journalist and founding editor of The Australian’s legal affairs section;
- James Kerley, TV presenter on programs such as Nickelodeon’s Sarvo, Channel V’s Cash Cab, and Channel 10’s Taken Out; current radio presenter on Nova FM and author of The Man Plan;
- Leisa Dias, Australian pay television company Foxtel;
- Miles Martignoni, 2SER’s Social Media Coordinator, Volunteer and Training Manager;
- Nathan Li, Editor-in-Chief of Macquarie University student publication Grapeshot.
The panel will also give students the opportunity to engage with the speakers about their experiences and ask them any questions about the ins and outs of the media industry.
MUMS executive Stephanie Lewis explains that MUMS has also organised networking time after the panel to give students the opportunity to interact with each other. The networking will hopefully encourage students to start making valuable connections that could help them in the future.
Stephanie also emphasises that ‘Spotlight: The Future for Media Students’ is a free event and is open to students from across all disciplines at Macquarie University, not just media or arts. So for anyone interested in going into the media industry, understanding what it’s all about or just wanting to network with an interesting and eager bunch of students than this event is for you.
The panel will be hosted in W6A 107 and from 5pm to 7pm. Contact MUMS for more information firstname.lastname@example.org.